Friday, June 3, 2011

Souls in Prenatal Existence

Abu Hurairah narrated from Allah's Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) that he said: “People are like mines of gold and silver; those who were excellent in Jahiliya (during the days of ignorance) are excellent in Islam, when they have an understanding, and the souls are troops collected together and those who had a mutual familiarity amongst themselves in the store of prenatal existence would have affinity amongst them (in this world also) and those who opposed one of them, would be at variance with one another.” [Sahih Muslim]

There is no way to know of the world in which souls exist before they come into bodies on earth, and there is no way to know what happens to them after the death of the body they inhabit, except through revelation. It is only through revelation that we find out that those souls who loved each other in the state of prenatal existence find each other out and love each other in this world also. There is a very interesting story about Salman al-Farisi (radi Allahu anhu) narrated from al-Harith bin Umaira:

“I once went to the marketplace in the city and I met some friends with whom I chatted a little. Somewhere within the range of my view, I noticed a man wearing an old worn garment, and he was sitting in front of his house, busy wielding a red leather belt. When he perceived that I noticed him, he looked at me, nodded his head, and he made a gesture with his hand, and he shouted, ‘O servant of Allah, wait in your place for me!’ I immediately stood up and I asked my friends, ‘Who is that man?’ They replied, ‘This is Salman!’ Meanwhile, the man went inside his house, and he came out shortly after that wearing a clean white robe, and he cheerfully hastened towards me, shook hands with me, and he then said to me, ‘How are you doing?’ I was in shock, and I said to him, ‘O servant of Allah, who are you? We have never met before this day, nor do we know each other! What do you want?’ Salman replied, ‘But of course! I swear by Him Who holds the destiny of my life that as soon as I saw you, my soul recognized your soul. Are you not al-Harith bin Umaira?’ I said in amazement, expecting him to explain himself, ‘Indeed I am!’ He continued, ‘I heard God’s Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) say, ‘Souls are loyal soldiers. Among them, those who recognize the sovereignty of Allah will know one another and live in harmony; while those that negate the sovereignty of Allah, will disagree and be indifferent towards one another.’” [Hilyat-ul Awliya wa Tabaqaat al-Asfiya by Imam Abu Naim al-Asfahani]


Taken from:
http://dailyhadith.adaptivesolutionsinc.com/hadith/Souls-in-Prenatal-Existence.htm

No comments: